Wednesday

Being Bookish

If any of you remember when my blog first started, it was all about books. Just books, book reviews, and more books. And look now. When was the last time I posted a book review? Well Marian, explain yourself! Cause it isn't for lack of reading more like sheer laziness (or even forgetfulness).
So today I have comprised a bookish post with a few books!
And because I read some of these almost 8 months ago, they will be short little reviews.

The Help


"You is kind, you is smart, you is important."
These words are the famous and brilliant words of Ms Aibileen Clark, the protagonist of this book. The Help by Kathryn Stockett, portrays the life of three extraordinary women, who take their world by storm with the simple but powerful publishing of a book; Help. It contains the stories from maids/ the help in white households who share their hardships but also their happy memories. It is an enjoyable, memorable book with a few tears, laughs and some of Minny's pie along the way. 
8/10








Room
This is a book about a boy; Jack, who is five and has only ever lived in one room. This is because his mother was kidnapped. The book details the story from the perspective of Jack, as he learns about this strange world outside of room. I didn't think it was a great book. The story line was very predictable and also incredibly disturbing.
7/10







The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
I should point out that I was forced to read this for school and that my English teacher appears to worship Huck Finn so I do feel the need to find some faults in this 13 year old character. Well the only thing I can think of is that he is a typical boy, always up for adventures and exaggerates everything, but that changes throughout the book. Huck Finn is a boy, living along the Mississippi, when he runs away, not sure why (maybe it's due to his alcoholic father wanting his son's money - and where did he get that money?) and he bumps into Jim a black slave whom he had know with his time at Miss Watson's. So they set off on this adventure along the river...... encountering lots of dilemmas and telling a few white lies... I think you get the gist. It also is a very racist book, with no restraint on  racist words or even recognising that it was wrong to treat blacks like that. But that was as Ms Dilane would say "the product of the times". Language is hard to understand too.
7/10

The Grass is Singing
Yet another school book. Except this one made Huck Finn look like Harry Potter. It was SOO DEPRESSING!! Basically it is about a white woman from Africa who lives in a club, a house full of girls, and then overhears her so-called-friends talking about her and whether or not she will ever marry. So soon enough she meets Dick and marries him. Off they go to live on his farm as poor people and from then on it goes downhill. Actually it tells you the story line in the first chapter. The woman is killed by her maid; Moses. Yeah, so I told you the whole story within that paragraph. You're all very welcome, and should thank me for saving you from reading such a terrible book.
4/10



The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.
I loved this book, right from the start. I know I've heard a lot of bloggers not liking the beginning but I was so fascinated with Charlie and his odd way of thinking. I even started to think like him for a while. Ultimately, it is about the teenager Charlie, who makes some friends and gets to experience life. He cries, laughs, gets high, kisses girls, kisses guys, makes mixed tapes, read, writes and makes infinite memories. A remarkable book. 10/10







Happy Reading
x





2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these - but I did try The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I couldn't get past the first few chapters sadly. I just really wanted to love this one.

    Being Bookish all the time is a hard thing. I always wonder from my main blogs goal, which is think is a good thing because people want to see your personality right?

    Keep going Marian! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's a pity. I really did enjoy the perks of being a Wallflower. I think it is better to not expect much from a book rather than to expect the greatest plot line in the worlds. That happened to me with the Hunger Games....

      Yeah, I like a bit of variety in a blog, but not too much, then it can get a bit vague.

      Marian ^_^ x

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^