Sunday

Life in the Gaeltacht

In theory, Irish college is boarding school for three weeks during the summer, speaking a different language with peers you've never met, in a place you probably have never been. No phones, computers, tvs or ENGLISH! Sounds a bit like a concentration camp.....? But in reality, it's a bit of craic. .... that means fun in Irish for non-Irish speakers....

At 17, I was a bit old for the colaiste I picked, but thankfully there were four other 16 year olds (Hi Muireann, Kate, Kate and Darragh). I stayed in a dormitory, girls upstairs, boys down. Everyday we were forced to get up at 7:30 and have breakfast at 8:30. We walked to school up a huge HUGE HUGE HUGE (I can't stress enough how huge it was) So so Huge hill. We had class until 1:00, eat lunch, had music and played sport for  2 hours. This was followed by our treck back down to the House: Tir na nOg-----> cool name right?
We jumped off a  pier/cliff into the sea where it felt like a thousand knives were piercing you.
At night we had to walk back up that bizzarely steep mountain for a ceili (irish dancing) and then back again at 11. After the course you'd be correct to say I was exhausted!!!

The best time I'd say to go to Irish College is before the JC. Bring a few friends too and involve everyone in whatever activity it is.

I really loved learning new songs and dances. Miley Cyrus's Hoe Down was a polpular choice (p.s. what has gotten into her.??!) But most of all I became obsessed with Mulan. (especially this song, it's infectious)



Slan!
x

4 comments:

  1. Up at 7.30 - in SUMMER? Sounds like an adventure, if a bit exhausting...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a concentration camp...that's hardcore man. What was all this for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D, I thought the same thing. Well, I only went to improve my Irish, it's a mandatory subject at leaving Cert, and also because I've never gone to Irish College. It's a common thing for Irish teens.
      It was an experience....

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^