Wednesday

Midwinterblood

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I picked up Midwinterblood. Without even reading the synopsis, I launched into it a few days ago. This book is a compelling story about how eternal love between two people can stand the test of time. It kept me up late at night and when I did fall asleep my mind still buzzed with dreams of this chilling tale.

MidwinterbloodIn 2073 on the remote and secretive island of Blessed, where rumour has it that no one ages and no children are born, a ritual sacrifice takes place.

It echoes a moment ten centuries before, when, in the dark of the moon, a king was slain, tragically torn from his queen. Their souls search to be reunited, and as mother and son, artist and child, forbidden lovers, victims of a vampire, they come close to finding what they've lost. But can love last forever?
.
Overall, it is a hugely symbolic book. I wouldn't be surprised if, in time, students were made study it for the Leaving Cert. At first I was lured in by this "tea" that made Eric forget things. I became very curious and ended up carrying the book around school with me, just in case I had  a spare minute that would enable me to answer the enormous amount of questions that kept me up at night. The story travels back in time, so really you're starting at the end. In each tale I found out clues and pieces of the story so that by the end, everything came together. It is beautifully written and definitely not my usual type of book. There is this creepy element that I found very appealing. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a horror book, but that ghost story with the children left me with nightmares!

And I can't let the cover of the book go by without mentioning it. Isn't stunningly beautiful? The colours are gorgeous and borders at the sides give it a nice frame. Of course the hares are not just there for décor. They play another symbolic role in the book.

I would recommend a lot of people read it but I don't think it will suit everyone. The plot isn't fast-paced or gripping. Instead it is the links between tales and the constant need for answers that made me keep turning the page. I would give Midwinterblood four stars. I can't wait to read more of Sedgwick!
Happy Reading!
Marian ^_^  x



No comments:

Post a Comment

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^