Sunday

The Classic Christmas Cake

Let's get one thing straight, I don't like Christmas Cake. Never have, never will. It's full of dry fruit and almonds. Neither of which I would eat voluntarily. So you may be asking yourself "Why would I make a Christmas cake then?".
Well,
....I actually haven't the faintest idea.
This isn't the first time I've made a Christmas cake. But it is the same recipe I've always used. According to people who like Christmas cake and have eaten my version, apparently it is "delectable" and "mmm" and "can I have the recipe?" So don't take my family's word for it, try it yourself.
 
Ingredients
350g Currants
350g sultanas
350g raisins
100g mixed peel
100g glace cherries
50g chopped apricots
100g ground almonds
50g grated apple
Grated rind of a lemon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
225g butter
225g brown sugar
6 eggs
250g plain flour
5 fl oz whiskey
 
Method
1. Prepare a tin (about 9 in circle) with brown paper (lots of it!)
2. In a large bowl put the dried fruits, nuts, apple, lemon rind and spices. Pour over half the whiskey and cover the bowl with a tea towel, leaving over night.
3. Next day, Cream buter and sugar. Add beaten eggs and then fold in flour. Combine both mixtures (the fruit one with flour).
4. Spoon into tin leaving a little hollow in the centre.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 140*C for 3 and a half hours. Cover the cake with brown paper for the last 90 minutes.
6. Cool cake in tin for 24 hours.
7. Prod cake with skewer and pour over rest of whiskey. Wrap cake in greaseproof paper until needed or to be iced.
 
Icing
I covered the cake with smooth apricot jam and then put a thin layer of almond icing on.
After that, I rolled out icing and placed that on the cake. Using the leftovers, I dyed some green and made holly to decorate.
As a last touch, I made some red butter cream icing and piped that around the cake. I also stuck a few snowmen on top.
 


 
 

Then you're free to stare at it proudly or shudder at the thought of eating it. ^_^
Happy Christmas!
Marian x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^